Lots of flavours and full of deliciousness, this vegan dish is sure to take you by surprise and will make you turn into a vegan even if you have no intentions of becoming one anytime soon.
- 300 grams tofu or soy cottage cheese
- 100 grams celery
- 6 small sized bulbs of spring onions
- 6 to 7 tablespoons spicy schezwan sauce (chutney or spread)
- 1 teaspoon powdered pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil
Preparation time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Method: Overall preparation
- Chop tofu into one to two inch blocks and spread it on a plate
- Keep pieces on a wooden plank or cutting board and with another firm plate or roller press the tofu without breaking it till all the water comes out
- Sprinkle some oil to the non stick pan and fry the waterless tofu in low heat till it turns very light brown
- Remove from pan and transfer contents to a tissue paper
- Wash the celery and spring onions and chop into vertical one inch pieces
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil in the non stick frying pan and add the chopped celery and spring onions with pepper and salt, sauté till partially cooked
- Add more oil and then the tofu and schezwan sauce, continue sautéing till cooked
- Take off the burner
If the sauce ends up being way too watery then it is necessary you opt for something that has the texture of chutney or spread. Add more schezwan sauce depending on how spicy you would like your dish. Schezwan sauce can be home made or easily brought from the store. Check the texture of tofu post removing it on the tissue paper, break one open and you will wonder if it is tofu or some meat.
Here’s what tofu can do for you.
Your blasted tofu delight is ready with a rush of spices and flavours. Serve it as a starter with some beer or fruit juice or just an appetizer during lunch or dinner.
Here’s something else worth reading!