With the mush season not far away, I have been thinking about mush-mush-mushrooms. If you are too lazy to step out and have been wanting to relish some starters, then here’s what you can do to keep your salivating tongue at rest.
- 300 grams button mushrooms
- 10 to 20 medium garlic cloves
- 1 big onion
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 4 tablespoons paprika sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Vinegar (optional)
Method: wash, clean, peel, chop, marinate
- Wash, clean and then chop each mushroom into two halves
- Marinate mushrooms in diluted paprika sauce with turmeric, honey and very little vinegar for at least an hour
- Peel off and chop onions and garlics into very fine pieces and keep aside
- Add 5 to 6 tablespoons of oil in a cooking pan
- Fry onions and garlic pieces in oil till they turn translucent and cooked. Put aside in some paper tissues for it to cool and absorb the excessive oil
- Add some oil and then the marinated mushrooms into the cooking pan
- Now sprinkle some pepper and salt
- Keep frying
- Add some more oil if required
- Add the onions and garlic pieces with some salt
- Cover the pan with a lid
- Open in intervals and continue to sauté till it is cooked and dry
- In 15 – 20 minutes the mushrooms will be cooked
- Remove from the burner
Quick tip: You can reduce the amount of pepper, garlic and paprika for a dish that’s less of spice and pungent. If you are not a honey person, you can exclude the honey and replace it with jaggery water or any other form of sweeteners.
For the green salad
- 1 portion of cabbage
- 1 large sized cucumber
- 4 bulbs of small spring onions
- Some fresh twigs of cilantro
- 10 tulsi leaves
Wash, clean, dry and chop cabbage, cucumber and spring onions into thin round slices and arrange on a plate. Finely chop the cilantro and tulsi leaves. Use it as garnish with some pepper and salt.
I am not even going to mention what this amazing green salad can do for you, but you can surely take a look at what mushrooms can do for you.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Your mushroom pepper fry is ready. Serve it with this plate of green salad, some sauce and some beer on a lazy weekend or to pep up your otherwise predictable weekday.
Here’s something else worth reading, Cooking is not rocket science